Bosavern House is ideally situated for access to the key birdwatching sites of the Land’s End peninsula, which is renowned for migrants and, in particular, the number of unusual species which arrive at different times of the year.
Key sites of interest:
- Porthgwarra: (7 miles) is the favourite haunt of birdwatchers who are seeking migrants, especially the more unusual and rare. The most popular area is to the west of Porthgwarra, towards Nanjizel although the eastward stretch of coast towards St Levan church can sometimes be equally rewarding.
- Marazion Marsh: (10 miles) is a freshwater marsh which is easily accessible and provides a rich wetland habitat. Again, this is an area which attracts unusual visitors, especially during migration.
- Hayle Estuary: (13 miles) is a small estuary which provides wonderfully close views of a wide range of waders and waterfowl. The RSPB reserve, with parking and viewing hide at Ryan’s field are located next to the B3301 between Lelant and Hayle.
- The Lizard Peninsula: (29 miles) is the most southerly peninsula in England and is a recognised conservation area. Goonhilly Downs and the numerous coves again provide a wide and rich range of habitats which will reward the birdwatcher and general naturalist.
- The Isles of Scilly: (just 15 – 20 mins flying time from St Just airport) are well worth a day-trip for those who have the time. Bosavern House is only a few minutes from the airport and therefore provides an extremely convenient location for those travelling to or from the Scillies.
- Other sites of interest which are within 5 miles of Bosavern House include: Sennen Cove and Whitesand Bay; Cot Valley (which is directly below, and accessible from, Bosavern House); Cape Cornwall; Drift Reservoir, Kenidjack; Pendeen; St Just airfield and Nanquidno Valley; Carn Brea and any of the higher moorland which backs on to the St Just/St Ives road.
There is a very useful website at www.sennen-cove.com which provides daily updates of unusual bird sightings in the area – as well as other helpful and interesting local information.